World Mental Health Day 10th October 2016
The Irish Society of Chartered Physiotherapists (ISCP) are reminding and encouraging everyone to stay active to maintain and improve mental health.
Poor mental health is identified as one of the biggest causes of disability, poor quality of life and reduced productivity. This World Mental Health Day 10th October the Irish Society of Chartered Physiotherapists (ISCP) is reminding people to keep active to maintain and improve mental health and to encourage people to see a Chartered Physiotherapist if you have concerns about mental health.
Did you know? Physiotherapy can play a role in improving mental health?
Physiotherapists are seen as experts in aspects of physical health care and because physical health plays a huge part in mental health, physiotherapy can improve mental health by offering:
- Non-pharmacological management of pain.
- Expertise in prescribing individualised exercise programs, which can improve mood, promote wellbeing and address co-morbidities associated with mental health diagnoses.
- Interventions to address physical issues of people with mental health diagnoses which hinder social participation and recovery, e.g. Minimising or counteracting the side-effects some of psychotropic medications.
- Expertise in motivating, where appropriate, patients and promoting self-management in the context of mental and physical health issues.
- Management of falls and mobility issues for older people and developmental issues for children and young people.
- Expert advice and intervention to address impaired body awareness and reduce dissociation (disconnection from ‘thoughts, feelings, memories or sense of identity’) associated with poor mental health.
- Development and delivery of individually-tailored lifestyle and weight management advice and programs
Good mental health is fundamental to our well-being and can be improved through all forms of physical activity. This World Mental Health Day the ISCP wants to promote this message and get people moving and feeling healthy inside and out!