Introduction to Vestibular Rehabilitation - HSCP Funded
|Venue||Mullingar Primary Care Centre|
|Event Type||HSCP Funded|
|Presenter Details||Dr. Douglas Duffy
Douglas received his doctorate in physiotherapy from Arcadia University in Philadelphia, USA in 2004. He has a post-doctoral certificate in vestibular rehabilitation from Emory University run by the leading experts in the field. After training and working in America, he moved to Ireland in 2006. He has given numerous lectures and taught courses in the evaluation and treatment of vestibular and balance disorders and has been a clinicaltutor on vestibular disorders at the Eye and Ear hospital for UCD and Trinity medical students.
Dr. Dara Meldrum
Dara is a physiotherapist with over 25 years of clinical and teaching experience. She is presently a Research Fellow at the Academic Unit of Neurology, School of Medicine, Trinity College Dublin and also works clinically at the Balance Centre in Ranelagh, Dublin. She graduated from Trinity College Dublin and worked inPhysiotherapy departments in Canada and Ireland, specialising in neuro-rehabilitation. She obtained a MSc. in Neuro-rehabilitation from Brunel University. In 1996 she started the first formalised vestibular rehabilitation service in Ireland at Beaumont Hospital. Her research is primarily in neuro-rehabilitation with particular interest in vestibular rehabilitation and computerised motion analysis. She was awarded a Health Research Board Research Training Fellowship in August 2010 to carry out a randomised controlled trial in the area of vestibular rehabilitation and obtained her PhD in 2014. She has published 31 peer reviewed publications, 4 book chapters and has over 60 conference proceedings. She lectures and teaches extensively in the area of vestibular rehabilitation. She completed a Diploma in Clinical Trials at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (2015).
|How to Book||HSE staff only - complete expression of interest application form below|
|Contact Person||Philip Murphy|
|Contact Email||[email protected]|
|Total Event Cost||50.00|
|Date||15 Sep 2023 09:00 - 15 Sep 2023 16:30|
This 2 day introductory course is designed for therapists who wish to gain skills and knowledge in the growing area of vestibular rehabilitation. No prior knowledge is required. Through a series of theoretical lectures, practical’s and interactive case studies, participants will learn to assess and recognize common vestibular disorders and their presentations. They will gain vestibular assessment skills. Basic treatment techniques will be demonstrated and practiced.
Dates and times
Friday 15th and Saturday 16th September
Mullingar Primary Care Centre
Harbour Road, Mullingar, Westmeath, N91 V6R9
- Gain an advanced knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the vestibular system and apply this knowledge to identify clinical signs of vestibular disorders
- Be able to perform and interpret a physiotherapy vestibular evaluation including an oculomotor examination, positional testing, balance and gait examination, and dynamicvisual acuity testing
- Be able to identify red flags including the difference between peripheral and central vestibular signs
- Be able to use the results of the clinical vestibular examination to formulate a problem list
- Understand and treat common vestibular disorders including BPPV, labyrinthitis, vestibular neuritis, and vestibular migraine using an evidence-based approach Incorporate vestibular rehabilitation concepts into other treatment plans, i.e. falls prevention, care of the elderly, and concussion
This course has been funded by the HSCP Office. Places will be offered to those working in publicly funded healthcare service only.
Places are limited.
Event Application Form
If you are approved for this event, the price will be €50.00