Advice and information for people with back pain
Back pain is a very common condition which affects a large amount of the population. It can be very painful, but there is rarely a serious cause of pain. Your Chartered Physiotherapists is skilled in the assessment of your pain and will help to decide if you have a serious problem.
How can Physiotherapy Help?
Chartered Physiotherapists are experts in the assessment and management of back pain. Treatment focuses on:
- Alleviating your pain using manual therapy
- Restoring normal movement
- Identifying causes of your back pain
Physiotherapy treatment may include:
- Hands on therapy
- Dry needling
- A personalised exercise program to strengthen and restore normal movement & prevent reoccurance.
Top tips for a healthy back
Staying active and getting on with normal activities is one of the best ways to deal with back pain. Here are some top tips for a healthy back:
- Get active – make a start with some form of exercise such as walking or swimming. A Physio can recommend which activity best suits you.
- If you sit for long periods, get up and move regularly throughout the day.
- Avoid looking down at your mobile phone or ipad for prolonged periods.
- When Lifting, keep objects close to your body and bend your knees.
- Your spine loves regular movement. Therefore, break up long car journeys by getting out of the car for a stretch or snack.
- Warm-up and stretch before heavy exertion and exercise such as gym workouts, gardening or lifting heavy furniture.
- Maintain good sleep habits – our muscles need rest to recover from the daily stress and tension we encounter.
- Listen to your body - when pain prompts, it’s time to stretch, move and find a Physio
The content on this page is provided for general information purposes only and is not meant to replace a physiotherapy or medical consultation.