The Physiotherapist, Senior will:
Professional / Clinical
· Communicate and work in co-operation with the Physiotherapy Manager and other team members in providing an integrated quality service, taking the lead role as required.
· Be responsible for the co-ordination and delivery of a quality service in line with best practice and professional standards.
· Be a lead clinician in assigned, allocated clinical areas of responsibility and carry a clinical caseload appropriate to the post.
· Lead a team of Staff Grade Physiotherapists and Physiotherapy Assistants, as appropriate to the role.
· Be responsible for client assessment, development and implementation of individualised treatment plans that are client centred and in line with best practice.
· Be responsible for goal setting in partnership with client, family and other team members as appropriate.
· Communicate effectively with and provide instruction, guidance and support to, staff clients, family, carers etc.
· Work as a key worker for particular cases, if required.
· Be responsible for standards of professional and clinical practice of self and staff appointed to clinical / designated area(s) in line with the Scope of Practice of CORU and Health Service Executive (HSE) guidelines, policies, protocols and legislation.
· Be a clinical resource for other Physiotherapists.
· Plan and manage resources efficiently in assigned areas of responsibility.
· Document client records in accordance with professional standards and departmental policies.
· Provide a service in varied locations in line with local policy and within appropriate time allocation (e.g. clinic, home visits).
· Apply health promotion as an ethos across the clinical area to promote health and wellbeing.
· Participate and be a lead clinician as appropriate in review meetings, case conferences etc.
· Seek advice of relevant personnel when appropriate / as required.
· Participate in weekend and bank holiday rotas.
Education & Training
· Participate in mandatory training programmes.
· Take responsibility for, and keep up to date with Physiotherapy practice by participating in continuing professional development such as reflective practice, in service, self-directed learning, research, clinical audit etc.
· Be responsible for the induction and clinical supervision of staff in the designated area(s).
· Co-ordinate and deliver clinical placements in partnership with universities and clinical educators.
· Manage, participate and play a key role in the practice education of student therapists. Take part in teaching / training / supervision / evaluation of staff / students and attend practice educator courses as relevant to role and needs.
· Engage in personal development planning and performance achievement for self and others as required.
Quality, Health & Safety and Risk
· Develop and monitor implementation of agreed policies, procedures and safe professional practice by adhering to relevant legislation, regulations and standards.
· Ensure the safety of self and others, and the maintenance of safe environments and equipment used in Physiotherapy in accordance with legislation.
· Assess and manage risk in their assigned area(s) of responsibility.
· Take the appropriate timely action to manage any incidents or near misses within their assigned area(s).
· Report any deficiency/danger in any aspect of the service to the team or Physiotherapy Manager as appropriate.
· Develop and promote quality standards of work and co-operate with quality assurance programmes.
· Have a working knowledge of the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) Standards as they apply to the role for example, Standards for Healthcare, National Standards for the Prevention and Control of Healthcare Associated Infections, Hygiene Standards etc. and comply with associated HSE protocols for implementing and maintaining these standards as appropriate to the role.
· Support, promote and actively participate in sustainable energy, water and waste initiatives to create a more sustainable, low carbon and efficient health service.
· Contribute to the service planning process.
· Assist the Physiotherapy Manager and relevant others in service development encompassing policy development and implementation.
· Review and evaluate the Physiotherapy service regularly, identifying changing needs and opportunities to improve services.
· Collect and evaluate data about the service area as identified in service plans and demonstrate the achievement of the objectives of the service. Collate and maintain accurate statistics and render reports as required.
· Oversee the upkeep of accurate records in line with best practice.
· Represent the department / team at meetings and conferences as appropriate.
· Inform the Physiotherapy Manager of staff issues (needs, interests, views) as appropriate.
· Promote a culture that values diversity and respect in the workplace.
· Participate in the control and ordering of Physiotherapy stock and equipment in conjunction with the Physiotherapy Manager.
· Be accountable for the budget, where relevant.
· Keep up to date with organisational developments within the Irish Health Service.
· Engage in IT developments as they apply to clients and service administration.
The above Job Specification is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.