Welcome to the Sports & Exercise Medicine Clinical Interest Group (CPSEM)
Who we are
CPSEM members are Chartered Physiotherapists with advanced qualifications or a special interest in Sports & Exercise Medicine. It is the sole Irish professional organisation recognised by the World Confederation for Physiotherapy/Physical Therapy (WCPT) and its subgroup, the International Federation of Sports Physical Therapy (IFSPT).
CPSEM members work in a variety of settings ranging from professional sports teams to community sports clubs for both teams and individual athletes, to sports rehabilitation settings in private practices and hospitals. Some of us have achieved Level 1, 2, or 3 Sports Physiotherapy qualifications based on further study, ranging from courses in sports trauma all the way up to post-graduate Masters degrees in Sports & Exercise Medicine.
Follow us on Twitter for the latest news & announcements!
What we do
CPSEM members provide a range of services for those needing assistance with sports injuries or exercise. These include
- On-site emergency care & management of acute sports injuries
- Rehabilitation for sports injuries & planning return to sport
- Designing & implementing injury prevention programs
- Designing exercise programs for the general population, those starting to become physically active, and for those with specific medical conditions like diabetes, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.
- Promotion of physical activity for all
- Coordinate education & standards with our partner organisations internationally
Benefits of being a member
- Discounts on CPSEM courses
- Free access to the British Journal of Sports Medicine
- Free lectures at our AGM from leaders in Sports & Exercise Medicine
- Updates on events relating to Sports Physiotherapy
- Level 1, 2, & 3 accreditation pathway in line the with International Federation of Physical Therapists (IFSPT)
- Bursaries for both those undertaking research and those taking continuing professional development courses
- Advocacy for Ireland’s Sports Physiotherapists, whether it is to promote being involved at all levels of sport, planning sports medicine conferences, or promotion at sports and fitness expos
- To join this group you must be a member of the ISCP.
- If you are a member, please log in to view our 'Resources' section
- If you are not a member, join us here
2020-21 CPSEM Committee Volunteers
Chair: Garett Van Oirschot firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary: Rachel Tierney email@example.com
Treasurer: Ciara McCallion firstname.lastname@example.org
Education Officer: Caoimhe Gilmore email@example.com
Communications Officer: Michelle Lacey
IFSPT Rep: Daniel Horan
FSEM Conference Rep: Niamh Coffey
Accreditation Sub-Committee: Garett Van Oirschot, Louise Keating, Elaine Douglas, Mary Gleasure